SS Carmania 1905-32 Commemorative Bell

£395.00

Description

A commemorative bell from the Cunard liner S.S.CARMANIA, 1905-1932, cast in brass with moulded rim and shoulder, inscribed to front ‘Carmania 1905-1932’ mounted on a wooden frame  ‘Made entirely from material taken from the Cunard liner S.S.CARMANIA by the Hughes Bolckow Ship Breaking Co. Ltd., Blyth, Northumberland’ (the bell 13cm high, the stand dimensions 27cm highest x 24cm widest) Note: RMS Carmania was built by John Brown & Company, Clydebank in February 1905 and along with her sister ship RMS Caronia were the largest ships in the Cunard fleet of that period. At the outbreak of WWI Carmania was converted to an armed merchant cruiser sinking the German SMS Cap Trafalgar during the Battle of Trindade. She returned to passenger service in 1919 and was re-fitted in 1923 before being sold to Hughes Bocklow Ship Breaking Co. Ltd in 1932 where she was scrapped at Blyth.